OMAHA, Neb. ( TheStreet) -- One of the many side effects of Warren Buffett's planned acquisition of Burlington Northern (BNI) is the rampant market chatter about Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.B) likely addition to the S&P 500 Index. Should short-term traders be getting ready for a profit opportunity as a result of this impending index event?
Berkshire Hathaway announced this week that it will hold
Being added to the S&P 500 is a historical achievement over which Warren Buffett has voiced previous ambivalence, if not outright reluctance. Still, many index mavens are expecting the S&P 500 inclusion to be a fait accompli once the stock split is executed.
If so, are Berkshire Hathaway's shares trading too low when analyzed in relation to the likely price bump it will receive from S&P inclusion?At least one -- of the select group of analysts who cover the company, and academics who have studied the S&P 500 Inclusion Effect -- thinks the answer to this question is 'yes.' Eric Lin, an assistant professor of finance at California State University and co-author with John Kensinger of University of North Texas of a soon-to-be-published research paper on the S&P 500 price bump, said short-term traders, in particular, will see an opportunity to profit from Berkshire Hathaway's the S&P 500 inclusion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV