OMAHA, Neb. ( TheStreet) -- Warren Buffett gets so much press for being the world's greatest investor, in some ways it was nice to see him taken down a notch or two when some of his derivatives investments tanked in the market meltdown, and some questions were raised as to his chink-less armor.
Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway (BKR.B) quickly recovered their footing, though, buying up Burlington Northern (BNI) and seeing his investment in Goldman Sachs (GS), which was at first criticized, reach a level where Berkshire Hathaway's smarts can't be doubted.
Still, could it be that the ongoing candyland saga involving the bid by Kraft (KFT) to buy Cadbury (CBY) might be the ultimate can't-lose bet for Buffett, the investment equivalent of a full-proof gain no matter which way the deal goes?
It has been bandied about in the press that long-time Buffett lawyer Byron Trott has been busy meddling in the Cadbury Affair. And why not? Berkshire owns a huge stake in Kraft, and over the course of 2009, has built up a significant stake in Nestle (NSRGF). Buffet publicly warned Kraft to not overpay for Cadbury.On Friday afternoon, the Wall Street Journal reported that Nestle might be getting involved in the bidding process through the buying of some chocolate brands from Hershey, a transaction that might allow Hershey to make a rival bid for Cadbury. Previously there had been rumors that Nestle might join a combined bid for Kraft.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV