GM Shuffles the Ranks
DETROIT ( TheStreet) -- Three days after the sudden departure of CEO Fritz Henderson, Chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre is shaking up management at General Motors.
"I want to give people more responsibility and authority deeper in the organization and then hold them accountable," Whitacre said, in a prepared statement.
Among the most visible changes, Bob Lutz remains vice chairman and will act as adviser on design and global product development. Lutz will no longer oversee marketing.
Additionally, Mark Reuss moves to president of GM North America, after serving briefly as vice president of engineering. Susan Docherty was appointed vice president of vehicle sales, service and marketing operations, and will report to Reuss. Nick Reilly was named president, GM Europe; he had led GM's international operations. Tim Lee was named president of GM international operations. In all, about 10 top executives gained new titles and new responsibilities."These moves are just what GM needs," said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst at Edmunds.com. in prepared remarks. "A cultural revolution can't occur soon enough. "The elevation of talented younger executives is critical to painting a GM face that is more contemporary, especially as it goes after the huge generation of new young car buyers," Krebs said. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV