NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Finally, a day during which U.S-based solar companies are outperforming their Chinese peers. It seems as if it's been a long time since the market shined on U.S. solar companies as it did today.
But was the run-up in First Solar (FSLR) and SunPower (SPWRA) justifiable? Maybe about as justifiable as the big run-up in Chinese stocks in the current quarter -- which means that question deserves a big question mark.
And an answer to these questions won't be provided by solar analysts, who are far from in one camp, or even anywhere close to one camp, when it comes to these companies and the way investors trade them day to day.
First Solar was up 5.2% at the market close on close to twice the average daily volume of shares traded -- 5.2 million shares traded today versus 2.8 million on average. SunPower was up more than 4.6% at the close of trading, though its volume was only slightly higher than its average -- 3.5 million versus 3 million.SunPower is an obvious question mark, as buying the shares of a company currently accused of accounting fraud and facing 30 or so class-action lawsuits is something of a high-risk endeavor. Indeed, when Pacific Crest Securities recently
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV