FORT WORTH, Texas ( TheStreet) -- The chairman and CEO of homebuilder D.R. Horton sold 117,00 shares priced at $10.23 in a recent insider transaction.
It might seem that the last thing a homebuilder like D.R. Horton needs to do at a time when the market is sour on the sector --
Does it send the message to investors that not even management thinks the shares will go up any time soon? Right or wrong, it seemed to send that message to the market yesterday.
"We've got Toll's disappointing numbers today, and D.R. Horton dropped yesterday 4% when the CEO exercised his option to sell shares. You always wonder when you see that," said Michael Widner, analyst at Stifel Nicolaus.Still, while insider stock sales will always raise an eyebrow, in the final analysis the skepticism may not be merited when it comes to executive compensation being paid in stock. It's always going to be notable when a CEO exercises his right to unload the shares of his own company at a profit, especially when that company and its sector are reporting big losses. In the end, however, it is often related to a government tax bill, and not any CEO vote of no confidence in his own company. D.R. Horton was near a 52-week high at several points during August and September, but since then has trended down. D.R. Horton's
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV