FORT WORTH, Texas ( TheStreet) -- The chairman and CEO of homebuilder D.R. Horton sold 117,00 shares priced at $10.23 in a recent insider transaction.
It might seem that the last thing a homebuilder like D.R. Horton needs to do at a time when the market is sour on the sector --
Does it send the message to investors that not even management thinks the shares will go up any time soon? Right or wrong, it seemed to send that message to the market yesterday.
"We've got Toll's disappointing numbers today, and D.R. Horton dropped yesterday 4% when the CEO exercised his option to sell shares. You always wonder when you see that," said Michael Widner, analyst at Stifel Nicolaus.Still, while insider stock sales will always raise an eyebrow, in the final analysis the skepticism may not be merited when it comes to executive compensation being paid in stock. It's always going to be notable when a CEO exercises his right to unload the shares of his own company at a profit, especially when that company and its sector are reporting big losses. In the end, however, it is often related to a government tax bill, and not any CEO vote of no confidence in his own company. D.R. Horton was near a 52-week high at several points during August and September, but since then has trended down. D.R. Horton's
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV