The iShares Dow Jones Transportation (IYT) exchange-traded fund is both tradeable (liquid) and highly correlated to the Dow Jones Transportation Average. It's the investment vehicle of choice to trade the transportation sector.
The weightings aren't exact when compared with the transportation average, but they do track quite closely. As can be seen, railroads account for a significant portion of the ETF weighting.
Since Warren Buffett announced a buyout of $100 a share for the remaining Burlington Northern (BNI) stake, IYT has shot up almost 16%. This has led some to think that Buffett might be the latest bubble blower. I'm not so sure we can jump to such a conclusion though.Before one can even begin to debate the question of whether Buffett is bubble blowing, we probably need to define just what a bubble is. I am unaware of a concise, written and agreed to definition, but the general thought seems to be laced with these two criteria:
- Prices have moved up precipitously over some period of time.
- Price points are extreme (far too high) when compared with the real value of the underlying asset (you can choose the various measure to use when determining real value depending on the asset class being evaluated).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV