Kansas To Revise Plans For Wichita Area Casino
Those casinos all operate under federal law. A 2007 state law gives the Kansas Lottery authority to hire private developers to build and operate state-owned casinos.
But after two years of discussions among state officials and potential developers, Chisholm Creek is the only remaining bidder for a single Wichita-area contract. The state casino would be in Sumner County because Sedgwick County voters rejected the idea.
Chisholm Creek had planned to open its casino in September 2011, with at least 1,300 slot machines and 30 tables for games such as poker and blackjack. Nicholas Hecker, a Chisholm Creek representative, said it may now try to open sooner with a larger gambling floor.
But Chisholm Creek and Kansas Lottery officials must agree on changes to the proposal, which the review board still must approve.Spangler said the Wyandottes don't know how soon they could build a casino. They've been waiting for federal approval since 1996, and last year, Kansas Attorney General Steve Six's office sent a letter asking the federal agency to reject the tribe's application. Six's office noted that the tribe's headquarters is 270 miles southeast of Park City, while federal law prefers casinos on or near reservation land. Interior Department approval would allow the same limited gambling available at the Wyandotte casino in Kansas City. The tribe would have to negotiate a compact with the state for full, Las Vegas-style gambling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV