Kansas To Revise Plans For Wichita Area Casino
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) ¿ A proposal for a state-owned casino near Wichita has been put on hold while the developers revise their proposal to better compete should an Indian tribe open a casino nearby.
Developers had been seeking a state contract to build and operate a $225 million casino complex about 20 miles south of Wichita. But that plan was on hold Wednesday, because an earlier conference call between the developers, the Kansas Lottery Gaming Facility Review Board and others raised concerns about the Wyandotte Nation's long-standing plans for a casino north of the city.
The developers' partnership, Chisholm Creek, asked the review board Tuesday to postpone its decision on the project, and the board agreed.Meanwhile, Doug Spangler, a lobbyist for the Wyandotte Nation, said the tribe doesn't oppose the state's proposal and will continue to pursue its plans, regardless of what the state does. "We wish that they would go ahead and build," said Spangler, a former Kansas House member. "We have no objection to it at all." The northeast Oklahoma tribe bought 10 acres of land in Park City, Kan., in 1992 and has been waiting for more than a decade for U.S. Interior Department officials to agree to gambling there. The Wyandotte Nation already has a casino with limited gambling in downtown Kansas City, Kan., and four other tribes operate casinos in northeast Kansas with Las Vegas-style gambling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV