OMAHA, Neb. ( TheStreet) -- Warren Buffett (check out Buffett's portfolio) is famous for saying that his preferred holding period for a stock is "forever." But much to the chagrin of the Oracle of Omaha, some short-term traders have unusually benefited from Buffett's recent big bet on the railroads.
Notably, the rail industry is not a natural for short-term trading, as the stocks typically trade in a relatively small range. Short-term traders make their big bucks on the likes of volatile stocks like AIG (AIG), and stocks in more volatile sectors, like technology's Apple (AAPL).
Still, short-term traders looked to rails after the news of the Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) initial investment in Burlington Northern (BNI), and subsequent 100% acquisition of Burlington on Nov. 3, specifically because they knew the Buffett name would create unusual momentum in the sector.
"Buffett is the gold standard, and when the news came out on the rails, we started to punch up all of our rail trades," said Mike Bellafiore, partner at SMB Capital. "The Buffett decision becomes a momentum trade, and once the momentum starts to shift, you look to get out quick. It's literally a game of hot potato."Indeed,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV