4. The march to digital distribution: Even though Sony's digital-only PSP Go portable was a wretched failure (with sales drifting down to PS2 levels after it made PSP users' library of games useless), the push toward online networks and even "cloud" gaming continues. Though the numbers for 2009 aren't in yet, Microsoft says nearly 60% of its users paid a $50 annual fee to join its Xbox Live Gold online service in 2008. Meanwhile, Sony said last month that its PlayStation Network has 33 million registered users worldwide. At the same time, EA laid off 1,500 employees from its brick-and-mortar sectors last month, while GameStop announced plans to enter the digital arena after same-store sales fell 7.8% last quarter and Goldman Sachs (GS) removed it from its "conviction" buy list.
5. The death of peripherals: What did we learn about plastic peripherals in 2009? If you have a Guitar Hero or Rock Band instrument set, you're not buying another one. Overall, peripheral sales are down 6% from last year, according to NPD, with music games like The Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5 pulling in just $53 million in October, compared with the $137 million made by their predecessors during the same month last year. Activision salted the wound nicely when its $100-plus DJ Hero and turntable peripheral scarcely cracked 100,000 sales in its first month and its $120 Tony Hawk: Ride and skateboard accessory was roundly panned before its release last month.
-- Reported by Jason Notte in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV