On Dec. 31, AT&T announced that it was dropping its sponsorship of Tiger, including its sponsorship of his PGA golf tournament.
Others stood fast -- and the price they paid may have been steep: A study by finance professors at the University of California, Davis, estimated that shareholders of such Tiger Woods-endorsed stocks lost between $5 billion to $12 billion in market value since the Tiger sex scandal broke -- although a recent review of the researchers' methodology by the Wall Street Journal raised significant doubts regarding that conclusion.
Despite all this -- and the seemingly irreparable harm done to his once good name -- it is worth nothing that Woods Forbes' still managed to make it to the top of Forbes'"Fab 40" list of the most powerful sports brands; with an estimated value of $82 million.In fact, Woods' value still reportedly exceeded that of some of the biggest names in the sports world combined, topping David Beckham ($20 million), tennis player Roger Federer ($16 million), NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. ($14 million) and National Basketball Association stars LeBron James ($13 million) and Kobe Bryant ($12 million).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV