Electronic Arts, Nike and TLC Vision (TLC), for their part, supported Woods throughout his crisis. Indeed, on Jan. 21, Electronic Arts' EA Sports brand announced that its new online golf game "Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online" had become available for free previewing and encouraged golf enthusiasts to join the open beta. A console version of the game was made available in the summer. A demo of the game can be accessed at http://tigerwoodsonline.ea.com/.
In an interview with USA Today on Jan. 21, EA Sports president Peter Moore said "there is nothing that we have seen that traversed since Thanksgiving and the unfortunate incident there that made us second-guess his role as an endorser of an authentic golf game."
"Yes, we would always have some options like any company you would imagine, we would always have some fallbacks or Plan B. But we have not in any way seriously considered doing anything but calling this [console version] Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11.On January 11, Electronic Arts provided an updated fiscal year 2010 forecast that shocked and annoyed many investors. The company said it was lowering its earnings forecast to the range of 40 cents to 55 cents per share on revenue of $4.1 billion to $4.2 billion, versus its prior guidance of 70 cents to $1 per share on revenue of $4.2 billion to $4.4 billion. This disappointing outlook had been blamed on a shortfall of attractive video game titles at EA as it tried to downsize to concentrate on a smaller quantity of games during the current industrywide slowdown in sales, according to the Wall Street Journal. "You can't be that out of touch with the market," said shocked Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter, who was cited by the paper.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV