Tiger Woods first signed with Nike (NKE) in 1996, and extended that contract in 2000 for five years and $105 million. Today, Woods has a building named for him on the Nike campus, and reportedly receives a slice from the sale of Nike Golf apparel, footwear, golf equipment and balls. "Nike supports Tiger and his family," the company said in a statement. "Our relationship remains unchanged."
Nike was facing the challenge of promoting its new golf clubs -- the Victory Red STR8-FIT Tour fairway woods -- without the help of Woods' marketing muscle, as Tiger took a hiatus from professional golf to deal with his personal issues, reported the Wall Street Journal.
But all in all, Tiger's hiatus from professional golf did little to dent Nike's golf product sales, according to SportsScanInfo (a unit of SportsOneSource) data cited by Bloomberg.The data shows that sales of Nike golf products were little changed in the 13 weeks before Tiger's car accident outside his home and the 13 weeks thereafter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV