The update for a still distant future in smartphones came Wednesday, during Nokia's analyst day presentation in Espoo, Finland. Nokia offered its outlook for 2010, which was broadly in line with expectations calling for 10% mobile phone industry growth and a hopeful promise to reverse what's been a steady erosion of market share.
Nokia however revealed that it is stuck in a painfully awkward position in its smartphone evolution. This news coincides with the debut of Google's (GOOG) Android software, which arrived with a big splash on phones like the Motorola (MOT) Droid.
Acknowledging some shortcomings with its current crop of top-shelf phones, Nokia says it is now re-engineering its aging Symbian operating system to improve the user interface. Translation: Symbian stays on life support leaving the crowd still yearning for something new."They were surprisingly aggressive in their defense of Symbian, bluntly rejecting Symbian criticism," says MKM Partners analyst Tero Kuittinen, who monitored the presentation. Meanwhile, the long-awaited something new, Maemo 5, only now hits the market with the introduction of Nokia's $569 N900 phone. Nokia's Maemo software is designed to bring a laptop-like computer performance to a palm-sized phone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV