On Wednesday, the discount behemoth said it is offering a 15% to 25% discount on top 25 video games, including Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics and Madden 2010.
It will also reward shoppers who purchase a Nintendo Wii console with a $50 gift card.
As a result, GameStop is tumbling 8.5% to $21.83 in morning trading. Shares of Wal-Mart are flat at $54.74.While no hard data is available, investors feared sales of video games were not as strong as expected over the holiday weekend. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV