CytRx: FDA Lifts 2-year Hold On Arimoclomol Tests
LOS ANGELES (AP) ¿ Shares of biopharmaceutical company CytRx Corp. rose in morning trading Wednesday after the Food and Drug Administration lifted a nearly two-year suspension on development of arimoclomol as a treatment for Lou Gehrig's disease.
The news follows approval of a revised clinical trial design for the drug candidate. Shares climbed 12 cents, or 12 percent, to $1.12. The stock has ranged from 24 cents to $1.72 over the past year.
In January 2008, the FDA halted arimoclomol studies, citing the need for additional analysis from previously completed animal studies with arimoclomol. In June 2008, the company said it would have to conduct more animal toxicology studies on the drug candidate.
Lou Gehrig's disease is a progressive condition that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. Also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS, it currently has no cure or treatment that halts or reverses the condition.CytRx said it has attracted "significant interest" from several potential partners for arimoclomol, which is in midstage development. Results from the new midstage study could be available 18 months after the study starts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV