Ahead Of The Bell: Santarus Soars On OTC Zegerid
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Santarus Inc. soared in premarket activity Wednesday after the Food and Drug Administration approved an over-the-counter version of the company's prescription heartburn drug Zegerid.
The stock gained $1.13, or 26.3 percent, to $5.42 ahead of Wednesday's market open. The stock has ranged from $1.05 to $4.39 over the past year.
The company had partnered with Schering-Plough Corp. on the over-the-counter version of Zegerid. Merck & Co. took over the application after buying Schering-Plough in November.
San Diego-based Santarus stands to receive a $20 million milestone payment and could also get up to $37.5 million in sales milestone payments, along with royalties on sales.Santarus recorded revenue of $130.2 million in 2008. Merck said Zegerid OTC will be available in the first half of 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV