Disparaging comments by former Goldman executives may be the most damaging aspect of the story, but they aren't the only problems for Goldman. McLean (herself a former Goldman analyst) also does a fine job of organizing, presenting and elaborating upon other criticisms that are familiar to Goldman watchers.
For example, she points out that Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A) Chairman Warren Buffett's investment in Goldman was not strictly about his faith in the company. Buffett was also relying on the government taking certain steps to prevent a meltdown. In doing so, she presents a fresh argument to counter Goldman's frequent statements that it didn't need government support to survive.
Goldman bulls will argue that profits are the only thing that matters to the bank, and those, of course, are great. Still, the profits depend upon relationships, and while McLean quotes a money manager who says he does business with Goldman for the same reason he would let the mob pick up his trash, the metaphor may be troubling to some Goldman investors should they reflect that the mob isn't nearly as powerful as it used to be.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.Read More: Professor Buffett Tutors Goldman
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV