The company's biggest push has been in chronic fatigue syndrome, a poorly understood disease with no known cause that starts with flu-like symptoms and progresses to chronic weakness and fatigue (hence the disease's moniker.)
Hemispherx submitted Ampligen to the FDA for approval in October 2007. An approval decision date of Feb. 25, 2009, was extended to May 25, 2009. But that date came and went with no word from the FDA, although Hemispherx claimed the agency requested "one or two more weeks" to make a decision. That short 14-day delay eventually stretched for seven months, culminating in Tuesday's announcement.
-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV