FDA Approves OTC Version Of Heartburn Drug Zegerid
WHITEHOUSE STATION, N.J. (AP) ¿ Merck & Co. and Santarus Inc. said Tuesday the Food and Drug Administration approved Merck's over-the-counter version of the Santarus prescription heartburn drug Zegerid.
San Diego-based Santarus had partnered with Schering-Plough Corp. on the over-the-counter version, and stands to receive a $20 million milestone payment based on the approval. It could also get up to $37.5 million in sales milestone payments, along with royalties on sales.
Merck said Zegerid OTC will be available in the first half of 2010. The drug will be sold by the Schering-Plough Health Care Products division, which Merck acquired in November as part of its acquisition of the drug maker.
The drug, which combines omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate, is intended to prevent heartburn by suppressing stomach acid for 24 hours.In aftermarket trading, Santarus stock jumped $1.44, or 33.6 percent, to $5.73. The stock rose 7.5 percent during the day to close at $4.29, and reached a 52-week high of $4.39 in intraday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV