NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's been one of the biggest financial stories of the year and, now, the holiday season: Gold.
Apart from the fake foil stuff that dangles from Christmas tree branches, December may prove a banner month for the shiny yellow metal. (Of course, November also proved a banner month, with gold prices rising 14%, their sharpest monthly increase in a decade.) Already, on the first day of the last month of the fourth quarter, futures prices surmounted the $1,200-per-ounce level and looked to be going higher.
But by the end of trading Tuesday on the New York Mercantile Exchange's Comex division, the gold December contract retreated below that mark, settling at $1,199.10, up $18, or 1.5%, from the previous close. Gold for February delivery, the most heavily traded contract, settled at $1,200.2, up $17.90, after touching as high as $1,204 intraday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV