Regardless, November same-store sales won't be a very accurate indication of what to expect for the holiday, as Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Amazon (AMZN) -- the behemoths of the season -- don't report monthly sales numbers.
In fact, the main concern isn't with November -- or even the fourth quarter, for that matter -- but what happens once the holidays are over and consumers no longer have a reason to shop. Gift-card holiday sales are expected to fall 5%, according to Archstone Consulting, and this decline will most likely hold back sales and profits in January when shoppers typically redeem the cards, Stifel Nicolaus analyst Richard Jaffe wrote in a note.
And then there's one last hurdle to clear: In 2010, retailers will also reach the anniversary of the benefits of cost savings and better inventory management, limiting their potential upside and challenging retailers to grow earnings primarily through sales improvement.
-- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New YorkFollow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV