And while both American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) and Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) were upgraded this week due to strong traffic over Black Friday weekend, Brean Murray Carret analyst Eric Beder said he wouldn't be surprised if both companies disappoint.
On average, analysts predict American Eagle will post a 1.8% decline and Abercrombie will tumble 9.5%.
"We believe trends only slightly improved at American Eagle, as its decision to not be aggressive in discounting denim around the Black Friday holiday will prove to be a mistake," Beder wrote. "We believe American Eagle is already more aggressive than planned on holiday discounting."
Indeed, Abercrombie & Fitch's Hollister concept was the standout over the weekend, as it drew traffic with its Buy One Get One Free event. But Beder says traffic gains were more than offset by average unit price declines."Given that the company is up against a 28% drop last year, a mid-to-high single-digit decline is a disgrace, in our view," Beder wrote. Any Black Friday surge also fell off significantly Saturday and Sunday, particularly in the specialty apparel sector, Susquehanna Financial Group analyst Thomas Filandro wrote in a note. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV