(Updated with additional analysis of impact of Cyber Monday sales on November same-store sales comps.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Many had hoped that the Black Friday weekend might give the retail sector the boost to overcome a rather lackluster November.
But if preliminary estimates of last month's same-store sales are to be believed, there might not have been enough black ink on Black Friday to paint a pretty picture for November.
So how, exactly, did we get here?It's no secret, by now, that November got off to a slow start, as shoppers waited for Black Friday promotions. When retailers reported third-quarter earnings, some also revealed that they same-store sales mid-month were down by the mid-single digits to low-double digits, Needham analyst Christine Chen wrote in a note. And then last week, according to the National Retail Federation,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV