WASHINGTON D.C. ( TheStreet) -- Construction spending was better than expected in October, reaching a level virtually equivalent to September -- a surprise result that has sent shares in the homebuilding sector higher in Tuesday morning trading.
The Census Bureau monthly report did not show significant growth in construction, but remaining flat is good when the market actually had been predicting a drop in construction spending.
The rationale behind the expected drop was that the September increase -- which had shown the biggest gain in housing activity since July 2003 -- reflected a last minute rush to get homes built ahead of the looming expiration of the first-time home-buyer tax credit. With the October numbers, it was expected that the tax-credit rush would be taken out of the equation and the numbers would fall off as a result.
In October, construction spending was estimated at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of $910.8 billion, nearly the same as the revised September estimate of $910.4 billion. The October figure is 14.4% below the October 2008 level.Most of the major homebuilder stocks rallied on Tuesday, with gains of between 1%-3%, led by Ryland Group (RYL), which was up 3.2% at the close. The Tuesday rally followed a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV