Online sales jumped 14% on Monday compared to the same time last year, according to Coremetrics, a Web analytics firm. Consumers also purchased 30% more items than they did in 2008.
With the Internet comprising about 10% of total holiday sales, these online sales are slowly but steadily gaining in importance.
In comparison, Black Friday saw 195 million shoppers visit stores, but on average each shopper spent $341.31, down about 8% from $372.57 last year, according to the National Retail Federation.Amazon (AMZN)and eBay (EBAY) were in the spotlight yesterday, as the two major retailers without brick-and-mortar locations. Overstock.com (OSTK) said its Monday sales were about 10% above their record-breaking Friday levels, the Wall Street Journal reported. Clothing and jewelry e-retailers were the most popular destinations, which bodes well for companies like Blue Nile (NILE). Apparel companies saw the dollar amount consumers spent rise 26.4%, while jewelers jumped 14.3%, according to Coremetrics.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV