Peet's Raises Offer to Buy Diedrich Coffee
Peet's offered to buy Diedrich last week for $32 a share, but was trumped by Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) which offered to buy Diedrich for the same share price, but in a bid that was all cash.
Diedrich executives said last week that Green Mountain's $265 million offer was superior to the offer from Peet's.
Peet's and Green Mountain have been vying for Diedrich over the past month, each hoping to own the company's license to produce popular single-serve coffee pods called K-Cups that are used in Keurig's brewing system."We continue to believe that our acquisition of Diedrich would create significant value for the stockholders of both companies," said Peet's President Patrick O'Dea, in a statement. "We also remain convinced that Peet's participation in the single serve K-Cup market would bring much-needed competition to that market that would benefit both consumers and retail trade customers while also accelerating household penetration of the Keurig brewer system." Green Mountain acquired another K-Cup licensee last month. If it was to succeed in its quest to acquire Diedrich, it would control about 85% of K-Cup sales. Shares of Diedrich closed Monday at $33.12, while Peet's shares finished at $32.56. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York . Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV