"We are confident that the transaction presents no antitrust issues," Mohr said.
Delta spokesman Kent Landers said the transaction has broad support. Nearly 10,000 Delta customers and employees have voiced support to the departments of Justice and Transportation, as have a variety of New York officials including two senators, 20 members of Congress, New York state Governor David Paterson and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, he said. In addition, the Delta chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association recently encouraged its members to back the deal.
Speaking to reporters in Charlotte last month, US Airways CEO Doug Parker said US Airways would be weakened in the New York area, but he noted that even today it has just 4% of the traffic. US Airways would become stronger at National, with more than 50% of traffic.
USAPA's intent is to save jobs and to maintain a strong presence at LaGuardia, said spokesman James Ray. "We've been trying to save the crew bases and US Airways flying out of LaGuardia, which is one of the most highly sought after markets in the world," he said. "We've been talking to the company, but so far that has fallen on deaf ears."-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV