Updated from 12:17 a.m. EST
FAIRFIELD, Conn. ( TheStreet) -- General Electric (GE) has tentatively agreed to buy Vivendi's minority stake in NBC Universal for $5.8 billion, clearing the way for a possible deal to sell a controlling interest in the division to Comcast (CMCSK), according to published reports citing unnamed sources.
General Electric CEO Jeffrey Immelt hashed out the basis for a deal after meeting with Vivendi CEO Jean-Bernard Levy last week, according to reports in The Wall Street Journal and New York Times Web sites late Monday.
The Times, citing people briefed on the matter, said much remained to be negotiated before a possible deal with Comcast. The Vivendi deal values NBC Universal at $29 billion, less than General Electric and Comcast had discussed last month, the Times reported.The Journal reported it could still take a few days before a Comcast-GE deal is finalized and announced. The Journal, citing people familiar with the potential Comcast deal, said it could take from six months to more than a year to secure regulatory approval approval. -- Written by TheStreet.com in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV