Toshiba and others are increasingly blurring the lines. The manufacturer rolled out its Pentium Core Duo-powered, nine-hour-battery-driven Satellite T115 laptop in October. At 11.6 inches and $449, the full-powered laptop makes its memory-deprived Mini netbook counterpart seem less like a bargain and more like a redundancy.
H-P put a little more breathing room between its Mini 110 netbook (10 inches, $350) and its newly released Pavilion DM3 laptop (13 inches, $549), but that $200 gap shrinks quickly when the latter's battery life (an estimated 10 hours) and memory (4 gigabytes) dwarfs the former's (7 hours, 1 gigabyte).
In the same vein, the $250 gap between the Acer Timeline and the 14-inch Sony (SNE) VAIO shrinks like a bad sweater when comparing the Acer's offerings to the VAIO's 4 gigabytes of memory, Blu-ray drive and 250 megabytes of extra memory for games.
The netbook should supplement your laptop by making less important information easier to transport. And your laptop should be a bit more functional than a smartphone."If you're shopping for a portable computer right now, the first question you need to answer is 'is it your primary portable computer?'" Fox says. "I can't believe we're to the point where there's a 'primary portable computer.'" TheStreet.com matched up three top netbooks against three laptops of similar size or price. Read on to see what we found.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV