Cyber Monday Sales: Holiday Bright Spot
Currently sales are up 16% compared with the online shopping holiday last year, according to Coremetrics, a Web analytics firm.
Cyber Monday, of course, is the newly traditional Monday after Thanksgiving in which shoppers take to the Internet to hunt for holiday bargains.
In total, Cyber Monday online sales this year are at an even pace with last week's Black Friday online sales.Shares of e-retailers Amazon (AMZN) and eBay (EBAY) are jumping on the news, even as the rest of the sector tumbles. Shares of Amazon are up 2.9% to $135.57 in afternoon trading, while eBay is spiking 5.2% to $24.42. The National Retail Federation expects 96.5 million Americans will shop on Cyber Monday, up from 85 million in 2008. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV