Five Top Smartphone Stocks of 2009
Palm basically invented the smartphone ten years ago and then watched while upstarts RIM and Apple captured the market. This year, Palm reinvented itself as the up-and-coming challenger in the market and investors bought it.
The numbers. Palm introduced the Pre phone running on its WebOS software in June to a great deal of anticipation but only limited consumer demand. Early sales numbers were anemic and have stayed weak. To drum up interest, the price of the Palm Pre was cut during Black Friday to $80, down from the original $200 charge and below the $150 price more recently.
The stock. Palm outpaced the entire smartphone pack and posted a whopping 258% gain so far this year. That performance includes a drop of 38% in the past two months as the Android attack intensified.-- Written by Scott Moritz in New York. Now See: Top 5 Tech Stocks>>>
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV