Five Top Smartphone Stocks of 2009
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Smartphones are hot, and so are their stock prices. Here are five to watch in the coming months.
Research In Motion
Research In Motion (RIMM) is still the biggest player in the U.S. smartphone market thanks to the popularity of its BlackBerry phones. But the market started to get a little crowded in 2009 and RIM shares were pushed aside a bit.
The numbers. RIM's run as the trusty email tool for business users and an increasing number of non-business emailers has been challenged by a host of new devices. Even so, RIM managed to hold on to its No.2 market spot, raking in 21% of the worldwide market. Leader Nokia (NOK) fell to 39% from 42% a year ago.
The stock. RIM shares are up a respectable 44% this year, but lagged the pack by a wide margin. In an era of touchscreen-driven, swipe-and-poke software, the current device trend threatens to leave the BlackBerry behind unless RIM adapts quickly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV