Top Takes From RealMoney
The RealMoney contributors are in the business of trading and investing all day on the basis of ongoing news flow. Below, we offer the top five ideas that RealMoney contributors posted today and how they played those ideas.
TheStreet.com brings you the news all day, and with RealMoney's "Columnist Conversation," you can see how the pros are playing it on a real-time basis. Here are the top five ideas played today. To see all that RealMoney offers, click here for a free trial.
1. Four Charts
By Robert Marcin
8:44 a.m. EST
As much as I expect the "buy the dip" crowd to support shares in here, four charts really concern me in the short run. Take a look at the charts for Goldman (GS), the Russell 2000, the Financial Select Sector SPDR (XLF) and oil.The best leading indicator for this market up down and up has been GS. That chart is disturbing, because the stock is cheap and the company is sooo good. The Russell reveals how seriously small-caps are lagging. More than small-cap performance, it reveals an "average stock" experience. And the average stock has been struggling lately. The XLF has been a good indicator of the market's trend, with a leading volatility factor in both directions. It has stalled as well. We cannot have another material leg up without the large financial service sector participating. Finally, oil is not looking so hot either. It hasn't broken down like the others yet, but if it does, Katy bar the door! Oil represents the entire commodity trade and a correction there would be a new negative. The energizer rally has crushed the bears and made bulls of most, or fully invested bears at the least. With many divergences, choppy fundamentals, fair valuations and retail withdrawals, this market depends a lot on momentum. And, it remains more vulnerable to fundamental concerns than it has in quite some time. No positions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV