NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As the U.S. and most developed countries struggle to get out of the global recession, many investors have switched to emerging markets such as Brazil, Russia, India and China and the BRIC countries.
But there are other opportunities. South Africa, for instance, is known for its mining and production of precious metals and as long as the dollar remains weak and investors worry about inflation, precious metals will remain a hot commodity.
To further boost its appeal, South Africa's government has implemented a spending restraint which has enabled its currency to remain relatively strong and its debt ratios favorable. The easiest way to gain exposure to the nation is through the iShares MSCI South Africa Index ETF (EZA).
Another opportunity lies in Eastern Europe and the emerging nation of Turkey. The country is attractive because its consumer confidence levels are rising, it has a relatively young workforce, it boasts a thriving manufacturing sector and it has a promising financial sector which has been boosted by the increase in consumer and business lending.In addition, the Turkish government is doing everything it can to meet all the requirements and be accepted by the European Union. Gaining exposure to Turkey can be done through the iShares MSCI Turkey Invest Mkt Idx (TUR). Mexico, which has undergone a huge fiscal face lift, is drawing investor interest, too. The emerging nation recently recorded a record foreign currency reserve and an investment grade debt rating. In addition, its ties to large U.S. companies, like Wal Mart (WMT), lowers risk factors. Mexico can be accessed through the iShares MSCI Mexico Invest Mkt Idx (EWW).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV