A Verizon spokesperson declined to comment. But while Verizon has publicly said it remains interested in a deal with Apple, Reid suspects it won't involve the current generation of iPhones.
What's more likely, Reid says, is that Verizon makes a deal to sell other Apple devices like the elusive Apple Tablet and the next version of the iPhone running on long term evolution or LTE, a fourth generation wireless technology.
In other words, Reid expects Verizon to wait for something special rather than put its name on a three-year-old iPhone. But that could be a long time from now.
"We expect Verizon to offer only 4G Apple handsets in 2011," Reid says.-- Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV