AT&T (T) will lose its exclusive agreement to sell the iPhone sometime next year and Verizon has been the leading candidate to take on the popular Apple phone next, but Thomas Weisel analyst Doug Reid disputes that assumption.
Reid points the growing division between warring wireless camps. Verizon and Google (GOOG) represent one side with the Motorola (MOT) Droid effort vying against the powerful AT&T and Apple iPhone combo. In that scenario, T-Mobile makes an easy addition to the Apple empire, says Reid.
"Apple wants to move away from exclusivity; T-Mobile would achieve this for Apple in the U.S.," Reid says. Notably, Apple already sells phones through Germany's T-Mobile unit.The problem, however, is after conquering AT&T, the second largest wireless player, Apple needs a way to reach a bigger block of potential users. With 71 million customers, Verizon is the largest wireless player and one of the last large untapped sales opportunities for Apple. T-Mobile, by contrast, is a big step down with only half as many users as Verizon. Investors are likely to view a move to T-Mobile next year instead of Verizon as a far less lucrative option for Apple. Verizon originally rejected Apple's exclusivity offer three years ago over control issues. And instead of trying to mend its relations with Apple, Verizon has spent the past year forging a rival partnership with Google to counter the iPhone offensive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV