(Updated with stock prices.)
According to the National Retail Federation, 195 million shoppers visited stores and Web sites over the weekend, up from 172 million last year. On average, however, each shopper spent $341.31, down about 8% from $372.57 last year.
"While retailers are encouraged by the number of Americans who shopped over Black Friday weekend, they know they have their work cut out for them to keep people coming back through Christmas," Tracy Mullen, NRF president and CEO said in a statement.The news sent shares of retailers tumbling on Monday afternoon, with the S&P Retail Index falling 1.3% to 399.22. Some of the biggest decliners are in the department store sector, with J.C. Penney (JCP) sinking 3.8% to $28.15, Macy's (M) tanking 6% to $15.95, Saks (SKS) dropping 8.4% to $5.99 and Kohl's (KSS) off 2.4% to $53.14. Women's apparel retailers are also in the red, as they experienced the slowest traffic Black Friday weekend. Talbots (TLB) is plunging 6.9% to $6.52, Coldwater Creek (CWTR) is losing 3.2% to $4.29, Chico's (CHS) is decreasing 2.5% to $13.95 and AnnTaylor Stores (ANN) is off 4.`% to $13.65.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV