Cyber Monday, the Monday following the Thanksgiving holiday, is the e-commerce equivalent of Black Friday, traditionally marking the start of the online holiday shopping season. Keen to gain any advantage in a cut-throat economy, however, retail's biggest names are stretching the concept of traditional shopping 'days'. Online retail giant Amazon (AMZN), for example, launched its Black Friday deals page earlier this week, and will start offering its 'Cyber Monday' deals on Sunday.
Even brick-and-mortar companies are overhauling their online efforts, with J.C. Penney (JCP) expanding its 'Cyber Monday' sale to two days, starting on Sunday. Retail giant Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) is also offering an entire 'Cyber Week' of offers on its Walmart.com Web site.
Wal-Mart spokesman Ravi Jariwala told TheStreet that the 'Cyber Week' promotion encompasses more than 100 products, most of which will be revealed on Monday.Amazon rival eBay (EBAY) is also launching an online shopping offensive, recently announcing '12 Days of Deals' starting on Black Friday. The San Jose, Calif.-based eBay also unveiled a special 'deals' application for Apple (AAPL )'s iPhone and iPod touch devices earlier this week, and expects that more than $500 million of eBay merchandise will be purchased via mobile devices by the end of this year. Almost 90% of retailers will have a promotion for Cyber Monday, according to the National Retail Federation's Shop.org division, up from 83.7% last year and 72.2% in 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV