"The [search] committee intends to make a decision in the near future," said Bank of America spokesman Robert Stickler, in response to a question about the board's progress.
It was the third target date the company has let pass since current Chief Executive Ken Lewis announced his accelerated departure on Sept. 30. The board has had tremendous difficulty in the search because of several factors.
Lewis had set up a succession plan to allow internal candidates to compete and garner the experience necessary to run such a large, diverse banking franchise. It was expected that Lewis would stay on board quite a bit longer, grooming the top contender to take his place. But as legal entanglements and perception issues stemming from the Merrill Lynch acquisition mounted, he decided to call it quits.There are reportedly two top internal candidates, Brian Moynihan, the head of consumer and small-business banking, and Greg Curl, chief risk officer. However, both have been criticized for having ties to the Merrill deal as well, and some have suggested that Moynihan lacks the necessary experience for the CEO role. The list of suggested outside candidates -- including some from competitors like JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Citigroup (C)and Goldman Sachs (GS) -- is long, but not all the names that have come up have been contacted by the board. And many of those who would be well-suited for the role are already in positions they don't want to leave, such as Bank of New York Mellon (BK) CEO Robert Kelly. Others have been turned off by the spectre of strict government oversight and compensation limits. Bank of America shares were down 63 cents at $15.32 in recent trading. -- Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV