GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt is in Paris working to accelerate NBC talks with Vivendi.
"Headlines indicate an agreement on Vivendi's put option with respect to its stake in NBC Universal is possible in the coming days," according to market researcher StreetAccount. "The price gap between the two sides is narrower than $500M, according to sources."
GE Looks to Break From Financials
Cramer Responds to Trade Tax Critics
General Electric is attempting to sell 51% of NBC Universal to Comcast (CMCSA), but the deal hinges on Vivendi's agreement to sell its 20% stake in NBC Universal to GE. GE own 80% of NBC Universal and plans to keep 49% of it after the sale.The two have been at loggerheads over the value of Vivendi's stake. The difference between the prices that the French media conglomerate and GE put on the stake had been $1 billion. GE shares have risen 0.3% to $16.17 on Wednesday afternoon. Comcast shares have slid 0.3% to $15.07. Media shares are generally up with Walt Disney (DIS) 1.6% higher at $30.70, Washington Post (WPO) shares up 2.3% at $419.50, and News Corp. (NWSA) shares rising 1.1% to $12.05. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV