Homebuilders didn't benefit from Tuesday's S&P/Case-Shiller index improvements, but the Census Bureau data seemed to cause a multiplier effect.
While the positive gains were small for many of the homebuilders, a broadly positive trend is welcome news for the beleaguered sector.Only two major names in the sector were down at mid-day: The stock price of he Ryland Group (RYL) was down 0.6%; while luxury homebuilder Toll Brothers (TOL) was down 0.3%. It was just a few weeks ago that a better-than-expected outlook from Toll Brothers sent the entire sector up. Today, instead of leading the industry surge, Toll was missing out on it. -- Reported by Eric Rosenbaum in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV