WASHINGTON D.C. (TheStreet) -- Home sales spiked 6.2% in October to 430,000, according to a new report from the U.S. Census Bureau and the Department of Housing and Urban Development -- news that sent the stock price of most of the major homebuilders on an upswing Wednesday morning.
The new-home sales numbers not only beat the September level of 405,000 home sales, but were also 5.1% above the October 2008 level of 409,000.
While recent housing industry reports showed a slow in new housing starts in October , the rush among first-time homebuyers, with the tax credit expiration looming last month, could have spurred additional sales.
Apple's Decade: How It Can Hit $500
Biotech Stock Mailbag: FDA Playbook
There was also positive news about the median home price increasing for the seventh-consecutive month released yesterday by the S&P/Case-Shiller index family.The median sales price of new houses sold in October 2009 was $212,200; the average sales price was $261,100, according to the Census Bureau report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV