General Electric's stock price was positive Tuesday even as most big financials, including Citigroup (C), Bank of America (BAC), Wells Fargo (WFC) and AIG (AIG) were all lower. General Electric's stock price is up slightly during the past five trading days through Tuesday, while the S&P 500 is down over that time.
Industrial stocks, with which General Electric would like to be compared, were more mixed Tuesday, with Honeywell (HON) and ITT (ITT) trading higher while other industrial, including Caterpillar (CAT) and United Technologies (UTX) were lower.
While General Electric's volumes were lower Tuesday than their three-month trailing average, that is to be expected during a holiday-shortened week. Still, more than 80,000 General Electric shares traded Tuesday, or about 80% of the three-month trailing average of 100,000 shares. By contrast, the 192,000 Citigroup shares that traded were less than half the trailing three-month average of 590,000 shares.
Stockpickr: Who Owns GE?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV