The RealMoney contributors are in the business of trading and investing all day on the basis of ongoing news flow. Below, we offer the top five ideas that RealMoney contributors posted today and how they played those ideas.
1. 20B/AMZN vs. 400B/WMTBy Don Dion
7:57 a.m. EST
Amazon (AMZN) continues to get tremendous free publicity from Wal-Mart's (WMT) attempt to build its online business. The timing of this war is perfect for the $20 billion in sales for Amazon vs. the $400 billion in sales for Wal-Mart as we head into the Thanksgiving weekend. Look for online sales to continue to grow at the expense of the shopping centers this holiday season. The First Trust Internet ETF (FDN) is a good pick to play this trend.
Positions: Long FDN
2. Earnings ReactionsBy Timothy Collins
9:39 a.m. I am locking down profits on the three earnings plays from yesterday right here at the open.
Even though Citi Trends (CTRN) beat, its guidance wasn't very strong. With the stock being off about a dollar from where I went short, I am going to step in and cover at least 75% here below 27.Analog Devices (ADI): strong earnings, strong outlook. I am taking half of the Dec 27.5 calls off the table at 2.00 or better. American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) has had a good reaction, and I am pulling in the small profit here at 1.15 or better on the January calls. Positions: Long ADI, AEO, short CTRN
3. Over a BarrelBy Jonathan Heller
9:56 a.m. EST Cracker Barrel (CBRL) one of my favorite names in casual dining, beat the consensus for the first quarter, by 16 cents (78 cents vs. 62 cents). The company also raised 2010 guidance to a range of $3.05 to $3.30. There's also a real estate play here, as CBRL owns most of its locations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV