United: It's in the Bag Fees
Overall, United has fallen back from the time it was the world's largest carrier. Between 2000 and 2008, the fleet shrank by a third, the workforce shrank by half and the passenger count shrank by 38%. United's competitors also shrunk, as they too turned over flying to lower-cost regional partners, but they also expanded through acquisitions. While reducing unprofitable flying has boosted results, it has chipped away at employee morale.
Derchin said Wall Street has been giving United a second look. "Wall Street felt that in bankruptcy United could have gotten more cost out, but since they exited (in 2006) they've continued the process," he said. "I think in recent years they've felt United was doing a good job, given the tough hand they've been dealt."
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV