MINNEAPOLIS (TheStreet) -- A healthy earnings report this morning from Medtronic (MDT) sent the medical technology stock price up more than 7.3% on the day on trading volume almost quadruple its average daily volume -- 22 million versus 6.5 million shares trading hands.
Apple's Decade: How It Can Hit $500
Biotech Stock Mailbag: FDA Playbook
Medtronic was the biggest winner in the medical equipment and supplies sector on Tuesday, though its key competitors surged on its good earnings report and a more positive outlook on sales of cardiac medical devices. Boston Scientific (BSX) shot up 4.9%; while St. Jude Medical (STJ) was up 4% at the close. An analyst initiation of coverage also led to one of the largest gainers in the sector on Tuesday. Morgan Keegan initiated coverage of Cooper Companies (COO) with a rating of outperform, and the stock price shot up 5.9% on Monday.
The healthcare sector as a whole was up slightly, with a gain of 0.5%.
-- Reported by Eric Rosenbaum in New YorkFollow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV