(Updated for change in stock prices)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index reported more encouraging news about the home market on Tuesday, but few of the nation's homebuilders saw the market reward them for the encouraging home-price news.
The national home-price index showed improved performance in the third quarter 2009, and for the second consecutive quarter. The homebuilders, on the other hand, couldn't catch a break, with only three stocks in the sector showing stock price increases on Tuesday.
One of the reasons for the continued problems for stocks in the homebuilding sector may be the relative glacial pace of improvements. The residential home market is recovering, albeit at a very gradual pace and with some big markets still lagging, the indices returns through September showed.
Apple's Decade: How It Can Hit $500
Biotech Stock Mailbag: FDA Playbook
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV