At least, that is my reading of a Bloomberg News report late Monday headlined: "GE Said To Lean Toward IPO of Vivendi's NBC Stake."
GE is close to a deal to sell 51% of NBCU to Comcast, with GE retaining the other 49%, according to news reports. First, though, Vivendi must sell its 20% stake to GE. Though Vivendi has reportedly given several indications it wants out of NBCU, the two sides are apparently quite far apart -- $1 billion -- according to a Financial Times report last week. Bloomberg puts the difference at $500 million.
Bloomberg's report looks to me like a rather obvious leak by GE or one of its bankers in an attempt to get Vivendi to back down on price. Realistically GE cannot risk an IPO of 20% of NBCU, as the move would force it to disclose far more details about how much the remaining 80% is worth than GE wants to provide. GE might get further putting pressure on Comcast to put in a little extra money as Comcast seems very eager to do a deal.General Electric shares were off 6 cents to $15.97 in late morning action, while Comcast's stock was down a penny to $15.08. For more on business trends affecting the future of television networks NBC, CBS Corp. (CBS)'s CBS, News Corp. (NWS) Fox and Walt Disney (DIS)Co.'s. ABC network, click here . -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV