MINNEAPOLIS ( TheStreet) -- Medtronic (MDT) reported second-quarter earnings of $868 million, or 78 cents a share, an increase of almost 60% from a year earlier as it raised its 2010 earnings guidance.
Adjusted for a litigation gain and an accounting change, earnings in the quarter were 77 cents a share.
Revenue in the quarter rose 8% to $3.84 billion.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected Medtronic to earn 74 cents a share in the quarter on revenue of $3.7 billion.The company, the world's biggest maker of medical devices, said revenue at its cardiac rhythm disease management division rose 3% to $1.278 billion. Revenue from implantable cardioverter defibrillators was $754 million, while pacing revenue was $498 million. Medtronic said total revenue outside the U.S. rose 12% to $1.541 billion, and now accounts for 40% of the company's worldwide revenue. The company raised its fiscal 2010 earnings guidance to a range of $3.17 to $3.22 a share, from previous guidance of $3.10 to $3.20. Analysts expect fiscal 2010 earnings of $3.15 a share. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York . Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV